Oakcrest Intermediate School

Skip to main content
District Home
Loryn True » Mrs. True's 6th Grade ELA

Mrs. True's 6th Grade ELA

Welcome to 6th Grade Language Arts!
 
My name is Loryn True. This is my 1st year teaching 6th grade Language Arts in Tomball ISD and I'm excited about the year ahead! I graduated from the Mount Vernon Nazarene University (Mount Vernon, OH) with a BA in Children's Ministries and made my way to teaching in February 2012. When I'm not at school, I enjoy reading, traveling, and just hanging out with friends and family.
 
I have been married to my awesome husband for 13 years and we have two amazing children. Moriah is in 3rd Grade and Korbyn is beginning his educational career in Kindergarten.
 
I'm looking forward to teaching 6th grade! My classroom is full of reading, writing, technology, small group activities, discussion, fun, and lots of laughing!  I strive to build a strong, positive relationship with every one of my students. I have high expectations for my students. I want students to be respectful, come to class prepared, take ownership of their learning, and do their BEST! I am looking forward to working with your child to help them reach their highest potential.
 
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I am here to help!
 

Recent Posts

Notice & Note Bookmarks for 3rd Nine Weeks

During the 3rd nine weeks students will be required to complete 2 more Notice & Note Signpost Bookmarks.  This time we are requiring each student to take the AR test as a part of the grade for the bookmark.  (If the book is not in AR or they are having difficulty logging in there is an alternate assignment of recreating the plot structure that will replace the AR test.)  70% of the grade will come from completion of the bookmark and conference with the teacher.  The other 30% will be based on the AR Test/Plot Structure Assignment.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Notice & Note Bookmark

For the second grading period, students will be required to read two novels and complete a Notice and Note bookmark for each. Upon completion of each novel, students will conference with me to discuss each sign post. The students are expected to recognize two examples of each of the six signposts, write the page number on the bookmark, and answer the guiding question on a sticky note. Each bookmark conference will be 50 % of a major grade. 
 
We are almost half way through the second grading period, so your child should be finished or almost finished with their first novel. Students are given over 100 minutes a week in class to silently read their independent novel. During this time, I am available to conference, answer questions, or reteach concepts as needed. 
 
Please check with your child on their progress. Completion of the first novel is due on November 17th. 
 
Please see attachment for an example of a completed product. 

Notice and Note Parent Orientation

Your child is reading 20-30 minutes a day in class.  They are filling out their Notice and Note bookmarks with page numbers and sticky notes to conference with me.  If you would like to help your child in reading, check over their bookmark and talk to them about each one.